View Single Post
Old 2004-11-25, 06:44   Link #22
Umbrae
Generic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
In America, at least, if someone breaks into your house and tries to steal your property, you can kill them stone dead right there.

When a company tries anything to protect it's property, all of a sudden it's this big evil "monopoly" and how dare they do that.

Yes but when some one breaks into my house and steals my TV for example. I no longer have it. I cannot watch my DVD's, or even cable, because my TV is gone. When I download somthing off the internet, I did not take it, I made a copy of it. Honestly, if some one breaks into my house, looks at my TV, goes home and makes a new one. As long as they did not damage my house breaking into it, I do not care. Huge differance.
Never once through downloading music off the internet have I deprived the music industries of somthing they had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STfan
It seems to be a fad to hate on the RIAA.
Yea just like breathing is popular this season. Hating the RIAA is not a new fassion. I have hated the recording industry long before the current problems with downloading music. I hated them for sucking up most of the profits that I thought should go to the band that I belived I was suporting by purchasing a CD. If I had known when I was younger that by buying a CD I would help launch britany spears carrier I may not have.
Bands make most thier money of touring currently. The record sales are still a percentage, but not the main source. considering the price of mass production and shipping, that means most of what you pay for, is the company. You are giving more $ to the company that signs bands into often restritive contracts that stifle creativity. Worse yet, you have no choice but to do so or become a dreaded pirate.

I myself currently am banning the RIAA, and shall start doing so for the MPAA as well. If they want to try and beat me with a stick that says law, I will beat back with a stick that says freedom. Odd when thier right to pursue happiness via taking my money is met with an alternitive that I have in pursute of happiness via music.

Also, they honestly cannot prove that the people they are busting for downloading music are doing so illegaly. For example, if I buy 15 CD's. Then my 5 year old gets a hold of them, and uses them as shoes scratching them to a point beyond repair. I am within my leagle right to make and use a backup copy of them. If I need to download that backup copy for a network, who is to stop me? what law have I violated? I downloaded music that I have a leagle copywright to. . . only it was in another form. Thus, I am restricted from copying my property to another media? Not if it is my proporty. that is one of the reasons I purchase somthing. So I can do with it as I please.

And yes, a large portion of what I download is replacement of music I have perviously owned. if and when the RIAA and MPAA give me an unristricted method to replace any lost or damaged goods I will end my boycott, but not till then.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote