View Single Post
Old 2018-07-06, 01:15   Link #11
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
the amount of people in the comments typing G-SAVIOUR 2.0 proves that people still lose faith in live-action adaptations despite this is now a Hollywood production, not some Canadian studio who makes direct to TV shows.
As Rising Dragon above me mentions, Hollywood's track record with anime/manga adaptations isn't very good. The likes of Dragonball Evolution, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Ghost In The Shell, etc. have pretty much cemented the idea that Hollywood adaptations of anime and manga are doomed to failure, which considering the evidence is a reasonable stance to take. You do have exceptions though like Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise that's the exception and not the rule.

However, I am rather excited about this particular Gundam work, namely because as I outlined in previous posts, Gundam as a franchise does not suffer from the same issues that other anime and manga properties that have been adapted into Hollywood movies have, and thus it should have a lot more leeway than previous adaptations.

Ultimately of course, it's the technical qualities of the film and its writing quality that'll determine whether Gundam will be a Hollywood hit or flop, but at the very least Gundam has the advantage that the creators are free to make their own spin on Gundam and not have to worry about "destroying canon" or "whitewashing" or some such.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote