View Single Post
Old 2011-06-01, 19:09   Link #80
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think the ambiguity is part of what makes the story interesting, and deliberately hard to figure out. It makes viewers anxious that things may not turn out the way they want, and is a bit of a puzzle that everyone's trying to piece together. Sometimes I think people get more anxious about the way they think the puzzle will come together than what has actually happened so far. But because of all this, I'm sure that no matter what ending the author arrives at, it will cause much discussion and controversy.
Enzo said everything else I would've wanted to say but I must comment on this. This sort of ambiguity amounts to nothing more than a cocktease. I don't enjoy this particular kind of drama because it relies solely on simple misunderstandings and the characters not being clear about what they want (Specifically Kyousuke being the worst offender here).

It's unbefitting of a story that has much better and complicated themes present. I see this as being as bad as the first half of Shana II. The sort of story that is completely dependent on characters being hit with the stupid stick is just painful to watch.

The author/writer is basically leading its audience with a carrot on the stick, "Hey maybe you'll get the ending you want here!" May be effective and getting the audience to tune in, but it is completely ineffective at telling a coherent story.