Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-05, 16:26   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Agreed. Kids have a survival instinct that makes their radar better than an adult's when it comes to that.

I don't disagree that concern that Chihaya would be "tainted" was a part of Taichi's motivation. That's cold - no concern for Arata, but only that Chihaya would be impacted? But that's the reality of childhood - hanging out with the wrong person can make you a victim of the same bullying. In fact, Taichi had a personal stake because if Chihaya become an "untouchable", then he would face the hard decision - take the terrible risk of being branded an untouchable himself for continuing to hang out with her, or stop hanging out with the girl he has a huge crush on?

Again, I don't condemn Taichi for this - I think it's perfectly normal self-preservation mode for a child of that age. But it is that kind of survival instinct that allows kids to be bullied to the point of becoming hikokomori - or worse.
I absolutely agree on everything you wrote here. I'm glad we see eye-to-eye here.

Like you said - It's cold, but it's understandable and normal. The guy's first concern is himself and his desired girlfriend, and I certainly can't fault him for that.

What I will do though is admire Chihaya for risking social ostracization by hanging out with Arata. She showed real moral and intestinal fortitude there. Kids like her are invaluable in real life, as they're the most effective weapon against bullying.