View Single Post
Old 2008-04-13, 21:44   Link #8084
Discreet
The Fascist

Regardless of Evolutionary reasons (which I don't think Haruki will be thinking of at the spur of the moment anyways...), Haruki will still be seeing Kyonko interacting with Mitsuru more than anyone else. It doesn't make sense if Haruki feels threatened by Yuuki who has never been seen interacting with Kyonko at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Kyon-chan and Yuuki went to the library together, remember? Kyon-chan even responded to Haruki on the phone with "I just woke up."

Sure, Kyon-chan has blushed at Mitsuuru in the maid outfit, but, for that matter, so has Haruki... and it's not like Haruki himself can't have a similar effect on Kyon-chan when he strips...

Mitsuuru isn't a threat because he's basically a cuter version of Shinji Ikari, and Haruki recognizes this.

When I first started writing this, I knew that the way Mitsuuru was portrayed would make him unattractive (sexually) towards girls like Kyon-chan, so I knew there'd be problems with the story later...

The thing is that Mikuru is a threat to Haruhi because she's sexually desirable to Kyon... it doesn't work the same way when genderbended.

It's not like this will have much of an overall effect anyway on the story, as later stories focus almost exclusively on Haruhi's jealousy of Yuki anyway.
It doesn't matter if Mitsuru is or isn't attractive to Kyonko, all that matters is whether it seems like he is to Haruki.

I'd agree that it doesn't seem like Kyonko has any of the sexual feelings Kyon had for Mikuru, but that's not what's important.

What's important is to note that whether it be provocative or sexual or lustful or not, it has always been Mitsuru that Kyonko shows the most connection to in the presence of Haruki. This has nothing to do with actual romance, but perceived romance in the eyes of Haruki. It's Haruki who has little social experience, how is he to realize that any feelings Kyonko shows for Misturu is almost purely maternal/sisterly? All he can see is a girl caring a little more than she should for the spineless little boy who's a million less amazing than he is. And the fact that he thinks he's better and the fact that Kyonko still seems to care more for Mitsuru, that would be what sparks his jealousy and outrage the most.

Besides, if Haruki actually did think that Kyonko spent her time "playing" with Yuuki during their "library time" then I don't really think that he would want Kyonko to come along with him to closed space at all. Cause y'know, then he would think that she's like a totally different person than what he previously thought as well as a complete slut.

And god damnit, this has nothing to do with Kyonko's later relationship with Yuuki.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote