View Single Post
Old 2008-05-23, 04:39   Link #477
N.L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroll View Post
I'm posting this for you Takumy in the hopes that you won't let comments that have no merit beyond opinion bring you down.

I have a friend that's an art teacher and has also done some work for a major motion picture look at your art This is a direct quote.

"I think they're both beautiful. The sketch is more whimsical though, which happens a lot when you use illustrator to colour something. The lips look slightly better in the sketch but I like what the robe looks like in the finished picture. It's very pretty."

Now that's a comment from someone who's qualified to give artistic critiques.

As for my unqualified opinion, I love it! I think it's the best interpretation of Karin yet and I hope you'll keep working and keep improving your technique. Just because you didn't do it 'their way' doesn't mean you did it wrong.
You know what they say: if you can't make it as an artist, you become a teacher. :P No, what I really want to say is: NO ONES OPINION IS UNQUALIFIED. That's right. And just because your friend is an art teacher, with some experience, does not mean that his or her opinion weighs any more than ours. I had an art teacher a while ago that worked with major companies, but seriously, he was a complete ass; totally crazy. And he truly taught me that you don't need to work with big companies or twenty years of experience to decide what's art and what's not, what's good and what's bad.

And it sounds like your friend just gave Takumy the same critique as every one else. "Nice robe, mouth looks better on the scetch." To me it sounds like he or she is just trying to be nice. :P

Now, I would like to give you all my honest opinion and tell you guys what I Really think.. I would suggest that Takumy shuts her eyes and skips this post.

Ready?

I fellt absolutely nothing for her picture. I think it's soulless, flat, boring and looks very amateurish. She gave the clothes nice details, yes, and that might be a smart way to lure away the attention from the shadowing and the hair - which are both really awfully and sloppy made. The fingers look really akward too. It looks like, to me, that she just did a little "photoshop-magic" on it. (What surprises me is when some of you say that this is the best Kairin - have you not seen the picture of Kairin in the bath? That's a freakin' good picture..)

Well, there you have it.. This will probably upset some of you, but it's about time that the girl got some goddamn honesty. (If she dared to read it. :P) And even the people, like myself, who do not appreciate this piece have the right to an opinion - and the right to express it.

(I do not claim to be better than anyone else, and I'm not saying she should quit. I'm not angry, frustrated or trying to be mean. Just so that there wont be any misunderstandings..)
N.L is offline   Reply With Quote