View Single Post
Old 2012-07-05, 19:48   Link #18855
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
2) Can anyone give tell me where is talks about Awakening, particularly on who can or can't Awaken?
(Summary at end of post)

For #2, the criteria for Awakening suggests it has something to do with the nature of a esper ability. From Vol15 Ch5 Pt4, Accelerator and Kakine's power respectively can be called:
Quote:
The one who wields the power of God and the one who has touched the territory of God.
So basically, your run of the mill, more common (non-unique) abilities like pyrokinesis or Electromaster can't 'Awaken' into a absolute monster of power. It's like how in the Magic Side the Saints are absolute beasts in terms of their capability, 'normal' people can't match them unless they have similar levels of 'HAX' backing them up - and not raw strength either, but something 'special' (eg, Knight Leader + boost from a 'holy' artefact (Curtana Second, powered by a shard of Archangel Michael's power) = Acqua without Divine Mother's Mercy, both roughly 'only' at a Saint's level).

So, who can/can't awaken? Personally, I think Himegami have more chance of 'Awakening' than Mikoto In IndexVerse, on a purely person by person basis, Hard Work (nurture) <<< 'Impassible Wall' <<< Talent (nature, what someone is born with). Mikoto can't beat Accelerator at his peak, and none of the Amakusa people without Kaori or help from Touma can't match Acqua while he has Divine Mother's Mercy.

tl;dr - people who have some sort of special power/talent might 'Awaken'. Those aren't born talented can't 'Awaken', and no matter how hard they try or effort they put in it's impossible.

I'd like to think though in IndexVerse there is a theme that even if life is unfair and there will always people better than you, those 'Talented' people can still be defeated by 'normal', untalented, (comparably) weaker people when they band together and help each other. (eg, Acqua lost against the Amakusa, Fiamma lost against Touma with the Holy Right weakened by the world, Mugino losing to Shiage more than once) Not being to 'Awaken' (or basically, not being special) is not necessarily a bad thing.
*points to Touma, his special Right Hand and the frakton of Misfortune he's saddled with*