View Single Post
Old 2009-01-27, 20:51   Link #26
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Thanks for the information, ShimatheKat. It turns out we were agreeing more than arguing, so no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
You realise that Haruhi is more geared towards moderate to extreme otakus, almost like Lucky Star, whereas AIR and Kanon were for shoujo market, and CLANNAD a family-friendly series? [At least, outside the main cities of Tokyo to Fukuoka, much like BosWash, but we call it Taiheiyo Belt] So, Key still has slight advantage for now. But LB seems to be geared differently, might even clash with Haruhi.
I thought Haruhi had a much wider audience than otakus, which could explain the popularity. I had a female teenage friend who only watched a few anime like Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura and Evangelion. She loves shoujo anime the most. I introduced some anime to her and widened her anime frontiers. She almost fell asleep watching Kanon but loved Haruhi Suzumiya.

I'm not trying to argue, don't take it like that, just raising a point. Haruhi simply grabs one's attention more than Key, often regardless of one's favorite genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
This is exactly makes the Key-Kyoani partnership so important.

OK lets look at this.
Planetarian - a movie will settle it.
Rewrite - an OVA will settle it.
LB - we'll need another 4 cour, like how CLANNAD is right now. Therefore, with CLANNAD lasting 1 1/2 years, I see it as just about nicely in time for the next MAJOR Key game.
Not to nit-pick too much, I do hope you mean Tomoyo After instead of Rewrite. We don't know how large Rewrite will be but it'll probably be between the length of Air and Little Busters. With (at least) three heroines, I can't see it being so short it can be covered by an OVA.

Cheers. ^________^