View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 14:04   Link #511
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
Even lies and other interpretations can serve their use if you can understand the lie. Or sometimes it may not actually be a lie.
This is the most difficult part of the game is telling the difference between truth and lie and delusion. In Higurashi I saw right through the "illusion" in Onikakushi, but that's not my case in Umineko. I'm not the kind of player that throws *everything* that isn't red out, but rather, I take everything with a grain of salt. (Even the red, as we find out in EP4)

For instance, one of the few constants: Maria's umbrella. Is Maria merely lying or did Maria see Beatrice?

This is where Rule Z comes in. In Higurashi, Rule Z was state to be something really specific, but Ryukishi did a commentary on it in Beyond Midnight, giving "Rule Z" a meaning that can be applied to almost anything and is always true, even in real life.

When Rosa begins to throw a fit, Maria says that "The Black Witch possessed Mamma." But if Rosa was being especially kind, Maria may think that now a good witch has possessed her. Therefore Maria did "see" both Rosa and "Beatrice" in the garden.

I think this is a good basis to start theories, especially for EP4.

Like I said, I'm not good at detecting motives. Both Kyrie and Rosa claim they saw a 19th person, but I can't figure out what reason they would say that except it will throw the parents into a panic.

You need to know what "Beatrice" means for each character and who understands someone else's definition for it. Example: The parents definition of "Beatrice" is someone who has control of the gold. Why would two of them announce the arrival of that person?

These interpretations may be wrong, but it's my way of fighting through the scenes that we know is simply impossible otherwise.