Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-31, 01:27   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I decided to install the consumer preview on an older Asus Eee PC netbook, since I didn't want to risk wrecking the two main computers I use (a desktop and an 11-inch laptop).

The speed improvements, improved file manager, and SkyDrive (Windows Live) integration are a big plus for me, but that's about all I would use it for.

Had to dig into the registry to force the damn Metro apps to actually work- I'm of the opinion that older netbooks could definitely benefit from being able use Metro apps, and having an "arbitrary" minimum resolution to even run them is kinda pointless.

It was a little tricky to even find how to turn the computer off (have to use the Charms sidebar, or map the power button to shut down).
The only success I can see for Windows 8 is on new hardware- hybrid tablet/laptops similar to the Asus Transformer Prime, or all-in-one desktops with touch-screen capabilities. Experienced PC users, PC gamers and business users are probably aren't going to bother with Windows 8.

Wasn't it a few years ago that the PC manufacturers were too busy targeting business and enterprise and "forgot" about John and Jane Doe? Is this what Microsoft are trying to target and rectify, since business would never be highly unlikely to move to Windows 8 (Windows NT 6.2) anyway? Perhaps Microsoft are trying to plan ahead by bringing a more business-centric version later down the road, but I digress...
This "one OS for all" mentality is aggravating ... I can certainly see the uses for Win8 in special appliance environments (pads, tablets, etc) but for Microsoft that means they'll eventually abandon support for Win7 (general purpose OS) like they have every other previous version. Having run multiple forks of large complex software systems myself --- I really am unsympathetic when they whine/cry at the idea of forking Windows to suit the target environment (e.g. general purpose business OS, tablet, media center, etc). It certainly isn't beyond human comprehension to have an installer package that knows the difference and installs only what is needed.