Thread: Licensed Sora no Woto
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 02:46   Link #1032
Raiga
tl;dr

Finally caught up with this. Probably enjoying this show the most out of anything I started this season. ^^

7 definitely had the most impact (and how) but I don't mind having a breather after a really dark episode. Entertaining enough comedy of errors. I loved how the nun girl was scolding both the children and the priest. Plus the subtle character quirks, like the nun's love of gaudy outfits. You can tell, and it's funny, but they don't shove it into your face, like hey look at me I'm a character gag. It comes up when relevant and isn't overdone, which is nice.

Dunno if this has been said before, but one way I interpreted episode 7 was basically as a validation for the entire rest of the series. Sort of the whole purpose behind everything up until then was summed up nicely when Filicia was with that body.

The (hallucination?) corpse poses the question to Filicia: why is life still worth living in this wreck of a world? What's left to enjoy or appreciate in this post-apocalyptic wasteland? And that's when you remember the last six episodes, where against the backdrop of all this death and destruction that's not yet out of memory, there's still very much a reason to be alive, because there's still something to love about the world. Even when all these children have lost their parents. Even when life is utterly gone from vast swathes of the planet. Even out at some undersupplied leftover military outpost at the far borders of habitable land.

That's what I'm loving about this show. I mean, others clearly think otherwise, but in my opinion it's done a wonderful job of balancing the light and the dark. It never shies away from the realities of the world the characters live in, but it still finds a way to be lighthearted in spite of that. Basically the characters are saying, Yes the previous generation fucked things up in a big way. But we're still alive, so we're going to keep living.