View Single Post
Old 2009-01-23, 19:11   Link #801
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery777 View Post
I know that. To use "anti-Semitic" in the sense of "against Jews" is in itself wrong, because not all Semites are Jews: the Arabs, for instance, are Semites, too. So calling Arabs who are against Jews "anti-Semitic" is nonsensical.

Acts or statements are genuinely anti-Semitic when they are aimed against the Semitic race in general, or against members of that race BECAUSE they belong to that race.
Not quite. Whatever the etymology, the term "anti-Semitic" used in most cases is indeed a synonym -- heck, the main expression -- for the concept of "anti-Jew" whatever.

"Semitic" as a linguistic and anthropological term has a different meaning as you have said.

Nonetheless, the insane, trollish accusations of anti-Semitism laden against you should obviously be ignored. I'm counting the posts until the mods have to intervene, again, honestly. I'm surprised they haven't done so already given how regularly the hate speech boundary has been pushed and broken through. A few extremists and/or trolls seem to have made this thread their preferred venue of expression.