View Single Post
Old 2006-11-23, 19:42   Link #83
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Yuvi

That's interesting actually - Perian completely slipped my mind when I wrote that. I'll have to download it onto the old iMac (still ticking along as a word processing machine) and give it a go. Will be interesting to see how it does, though I can't say I'm highly hopeful ^^

As to MPlayer, yes, I thought it wouldn't - as I mentioned, my version requires AltiVec, so a G4/G5 processor is required. Possibly the pre-8 official build needs AltiVec too, though I really don't know. I suppose I could install Xcode on my old G3 and recompile MPlayer for the G3 platform... but honestly, if Perian and VLC are working nicely, I can't see much of a return - it's doubtful there are that many people still using it, and the primary benefits of mine and newer MPlayer builds over VLC/Perian is the nice MKV/SSA support anyway.

As to DivX 5.1.1 - I remember trying that back in the day, before just shrugging and continuing with 3ivX - XviD was kinda required for me. Still, interesting to look back, isn't it? ^^

-Andiyar