View Single Post
Old 2010-08-26, 16:19   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEN View Post
Well, there is a reason to add profanity if you're localising at times. But I take it you prefer literal over localised.
We're probably thinking of very different situations and it may have to do with experience. If localization means you're having university professors speak coarsely and with much slang in formal situations... that's not localization anymore. If you're characterizing a gangster who speaks quite rudely in Japanese, then profanity is dead-on-target. The debate would be over whether the choices were appropriate in context.

I see the word "localization" bandied about in ways on some channels/forums that don't really correspond to its meaning (unless we're going to include the 4Kids or Pokemon type of rewrite shenanigans).

The silly thing is that I wasn't even focused on profanity so much, it was more of a general note that translation/qc/edit sometimes suffers unless the team is willing to do the research to catch what would be obvious to a native speaker. Series that thrive on puns, humor, cultural references, etc need that extra care in particular.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-08-26 at 23:56.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote