View Single Post
Old 2010-03-13, 13:49   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm assuming here your opinion just now does not reflect the position of the forum staff, yes? Otherwise the following is a little pointless.
KholdStare, answer me this: why are you imposing your "own" rules on the simple system? Where exactly did you get all these rules and expectations from?

I'll just run though the simple process.
I click on the +/- thing. It says:
Quote:
What do you think of KholdStare's post?
And I have the choice of "I disapprove" and "I approve". That's it.

Well, yes there is...
Quote:
Your comments on this post:
But does it say anything about it being mandatory? and also what gives you the indication it has anything to do with the choice. The question is "What do you think of KholdStare's post?", it wasn't "What constructive feedback would you give sir KholdStare?". It also pretty clearly represents just a "comment" there not feedback or criticism so as far as I'm concerned, given how the entire box is called "Add to Reputation: KholdStare", it is no more then a ancillary feature.1

Anyway lets say I choose "I disapprove" (since well I do disagree)

Now what is the button you click called? Its called: "Add to Reputation", here too more indication the entire space is suppose to support merely adding +1 or -1, nothing more (see: meaning of "Add").

I then receive the message: "A comment must be left for negative reputation." so getting angry at the system for having bugs I just follow the same steps again and enter "asdfasdf" in there. I get the message confirming the action: "Thanks for deducting reputation from this user." (ie. subtracting reputation from you) and its done. Note how the message is not: "Thanks for giving feedback/criticism.", sorry for being so insistent on all these things, but as it happens it seems (at least in this thread) you are by far not the only one who seems to just not see all of these messages. Which, I am going to assume is because you all never give reputation (of any kind) and simply concentrate on the receiving side.

A very important note to make here. When faced with that bug where as I can not give negative reputation with out a comment -- oh and right, how exactly are all you honest angels reicieving empty negative reputation? didn't you just complain about it just now, well anyway -- people might not react like me (ie. slam keys on the keyboard) they instead might type in a "d" or type in some random word. Or, what I think will most likely happen given their mood at the time (eg. pissed, angry, displeased) write something like: "you are dumb" or of course something more in context there (yet still uninformative) is even more likely. I think this little bug actually explains at least where half the reason for people whining over negative reputation is coming from.

That's all I have to say. Oh and...

Propose: Disable Comments in Reputation.
1 as a design feature, my best guess is that its there to allow me to mention which part I disagree with in case its not your entire post; which really has nothing to do with you "accepting" the reputation more