View Single Post
Old 2010-03-11, 18:41   Link #297
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Ahh, you see, I don't have 'such a problem' with people needing help. That's just you blowing things far out of proportion. As I said in the post that started all this:

"Ehh, I don't dislike Sakura, but she is my least favorite character. Mostly a matter of personal taste, since I like strong girls."
The thing is, Sakura is strong. She's just in a really bad position, and thus unable to fight. That's what I was objecting to, and then it kind of blew up from there....

Quote:
There is a vast difference between looking at a real person and looking at a character in a story.
Why? The same logic applies to either. If you don't like someone's personality as a character in a story, surely you'd dislike their personality just as much if you met them in real life.

Quote:
Perhaps Hollow/Ataraxia may up her place in my rankings once it is translated then. I haven't really seen what a healthy, sane Sakura can do.
Possibly. I still don't think she fights as much as Rin or Saber, because she's not as powerful, but she certainly does get involved in some of the battles.

Honestly, I prefer her to be able to fight, but I don't like people holding it against her that she's unable to do so in her route, through no fault of her own.

Sakura's character type (or, at least, the one that she displays on the surface) isn't one I would normally like (I never particularly liked her prior to HF). I also prefer strong women, not weak-willed ones who just sit around waiting for the bad guy to capture them.

But, because of what she's been through and how well she's survived it, and because of her mental strength and general sweetness and kindness, I found myself really caring about her, and wanting her to get a happy ending. I just can't see how someone can not like her just because she's unable to fight, because in her case it's not a sign of weakness, in any way. She's stronger than Rin and Saber put together, but her circumstances make it impossible for her to fight without harming the people she cares about, so she chooses not to fight.

I can understand disliking someone, and thinking they're weak, if they simply can't be bothered to fight, or are too cowardly to fight, but Sakura makes an active decision not to fight in order to keep Shirou safe. I don't see how you can consider that to be a weakness. In her case, choosing to fight (like she does as Dark Sakura) and choosing to follow Zouken's orders to gain her freedom is a sign of weakness, not declining to do so.

But, I guess that is your personal opinion, in the end.

Quote:
Random sidenote: Evil Sakura was awesome.
I had a feeling you might say that....

Dark Sakura is actually weaker than normal Sakura, mentally. It's Sakura when she finally loses the fight against her possession by Angra Mainyu, and gives in to her evil side. I don't really see what's likeable about her, other than that she has moderately cool powers.

Last edited by Cherry_Lover; 2010-03-11 at 18:54.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote