View Single Post
Old 2009-01-05, 11:12   Link #15
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So far the most remarkable thing about the novel is the use of poetry in normal speech by all the characters. If they're not speaking poetically or quoting a poem verbatim, they're making an oblique reference to a poem that everyone is expected to recognize. Since I've been led to believe that "Murasaki's" novel authentically reflects Imperial life in Japan, I'm in awe of the notion that people routinely spoke this way, even if they came from the luxurious classes.
I'm not convinced that everyone in London spoke in blank verse during the era of Shakespeare, even if that's the way his actors conversed on stage.

While the aristocracy of Heian Japan were very likely highly educated and artistically refined, I wouldn't know the extent to which the novel accurately represents that the way they actually spoke. More likely than not, the author probably used a generous dose of artistic licence.

Time and motivation willing, I hope to get around to this series eventually. Looks like something right up my alley.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote