View Single Post
Old 2007-04-19, 19:57   Link #38
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I yearn for the girls with rich, strong personalities from back in the day... they don't make 'em like they used to. Seeing Episode 1 of Heidi only confirmed my suspicions.

Still have a soft spot for shows like Heidi, Candy Candy, Little Princess Sarah, and Little Women. These protagonists were more than a collection of antics and catch phrases - but were complex, engaging individuals that made a real difference in others' lives...
To tell the truth, other than Candy, all the works you mentioned are from World's Literary Masterpiece Theater, thus it is not fair to compare what is already recognized, internationally, as a great work of literature to comtemporary creative efforts by commercial animators. Except for very few exceptions, most anime works will be forgotten in as few as 10 years from now, while people throughout the world will still recognize the name of Heidi, Sarah Crewe, and Jo March. Among the literary heroines that appeared in animated series, I also like Anne Shirley, whose 'clone' is making an appearance in the new series 'Emily'.

Among the recent anime heroines, I also find Ko Shuurei ( Saiunkoku Monogatari ) and Barsa ( Seirei no Moribito ) to be complex, competent, and engaging characters and leaders.

Now, even Candy should not be taken lightly as she is the progenitor of the Shoujo Romance Heroines.

Last edited by wontaek; 2007-04-19 at 22:05.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote