View Single Post
Old 2010-02-19, 14:08   Link #8
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haruhi isn't necessarily KyoAni's "biggest cash cow" anymore.

K-On! sold way better in 2009 than Haruhi 2009 did, and I think that K-On! sold better than even Haruhi 2006 did.
K-On! and Bakemonogatari both sold a lot better BR-wise than Haruhi (2006) did with its DVDs. Since Haruhi 2009 only came out on DVD, it'll be interesting to see how a BR release will do. A lot of fans are speculating (but nothing at all is confirmed) about a BR-BOX release like Kanon and Clannad were (but both of those were Pony Canyon releases unlike Haruhi for Kadokawa so that may not be in the plans)

Quote:
I'm certainly not saying that I like this, but it's the facts, and it's facts that KyoAni themselves have to be considering.

Haruhi isn't necessarily KyoAni's flagship title anymore... and if it isn't, it only makes commercial sense for Kyoani to focus more on K-On! (unless Season 2 exhausts all possible material there, of course).
I think KyoAni may have recognized the K-On! mania and decided to capitalize on the success (since it's the first thing they put out since Haruhi's "second period"). What may be telling is which series comes out after K-On!'s season 2 (like relentlessflame said, they've been switching production companies, so after that will be something of Kadokawa if the trend holds)

Quote:
Also, one thing I strongly dislike is...

1) How some Haruhi fans talk about KyoAni "trolling", and...

2) Talk about this like it's a good thing.

I think the "trolling" argument is overstated.

Viral marketing may very well have been something that KyoAni was guilty of, but I'm not sure if I would call that "trolling", per se.

Also, given how incredibly long Volume 10 has taken so far, I'm not sure how 'soon' its arrival will be.

Chances are there will be more Haruhi anime material, but if there's one thing that we fans of this anime/light novel franchise should know by now, it's to be very cautious, and to be very patient. And to not assume anything.
I'm tired of hearing about "KyoAni trolling" as well since I'm pretty sure a lot of the hints came from Kadokawa instead (like a lot of the stuff to do with the website since that's owned by Kadokawa). I don't want to say that it's a good thing because waiting three years to put out something new isn't a smart idea, but everything seemed to have been planned in hindsight, or at least since the December 18th 2007 Yuki poster. I wrote a post about the past three years for Cartoon Leap if anyone wants to hear my full thoughts on the situation.

I don't think any fans know what's going to happen with the franchise; only the executives at Kadokawa and maybe KyoAni do. I'd love to hear that there will be new episodes as soon as this fall in addition to the tenth novel, but I don't think it'll come out that way or anything resembling that. Patience will hold us through the tough times (just like a wait for DVD/Blu-Ray release for Shōshitsu).

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-19 at 14:54. Reason: making up for an absolutely stupid mistake