View Single Post
Old 2010-09-08, 11:44   Link #37
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
I agree its nice to see a good looking women who are strong and capable, but in this manga, I don't really care either way. I'm reading this manga because I like the plot, and the type of fighting and techniques used in this universe, and I love battles that require plenty strategy. If theres a sexy girl somewhere in the middle, hey, cool. But there is a whole genre of mangas (if im not mistaken) where women are "consistently" the strongest characters in the story. So to me, complaining about the lack of consistency regarding sexy strong women in a shounen makes as much sense as complaining about the lack of poultry in a vegan supermarket; when theres a dedicated market that specifically satisfies that very demand...
No one is upset that more pretty girls aren't around; no they are upset because the pretty girls are there, but they are only eye candy. It's bad enough that most of the characters are thrown under the bus just for Naruto and Sasuke, but to almost never have a worthwhile female character si a double slap to the face.

That being said, plenty of Shounen manga have tough female characters (One Piece, Psyren, Negima, Kenichi, even later JoJo, etc), and they show them being tough (unlike Naruto, where lip service is the going rate for female characters), so it's not like they do not exist. And, when we know that the Narutoverse has legendary female shinobi, we want to see what they (and other women) are capable of, but sadly Kishimoto seems to go out of his way to limit our exposure to such badassery (hell, the most impressive fighting exploits by a female character in recent memory were probably Shima's help in the Pain fights, and she did next to nothing).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote