View Single Post
Old 2012-07-24, 22:53   Link #6
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Actually, frankly speaking, any SF verse which has space ships and orbital fire will RAPE the BETA.

VFs... depends on the era. From Plus onwards (post-2040),Valkyries were equipped with pinpoint barrier systems, which could intercept enemy fire - I can see them using those to deal with laser BETA. Saturation Itano circus would work well enough once all the lasers are clear. Ditto for Gundam Unicorn, given that they've got antibeam coatings... well, on the hero suits, at any rate.

One thing to remember though is that any verse with spaceships can thus deliver orbital fire. BETA, as I recall, home in on silicon and other electronics - or at least assign those targeting priority. Which is all find and well to intercept MIRVs... not so much use against a wave motion gun fired from orbit, or kinetic energy weapons, which are essentially metal shells fired down at high speed, causing destruction by the force of their impact.

In fact, if we're talking about a verse, Stargate SG-1. SG-1 would wipe the floor with BETA. A BETA incursion will not happen on SG-1 Earth, what with the small fleet of BC-304 battlecruisers they have and their precision teleporter tech. Wanna take out a hive? Teleport a nuke INTO the hive and watch the fireworks. Or fire railgun slugs from orbit into the BETA formations. That's not accounting for the Dakara superweapon either.

And last, because it has to be said: When you absolutely need to cleanse a continent of BETA, accept no substitutes. Deploy a Bolo. "Honor of the regiment."

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote