View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 12:00   Link #10036
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naginoura View Post
I see. I had figured you had completely reduced Medaka Box and Nisio's writing to the genre-breaking aspect. (There are a lot of people who keep saying they read for the twists or they read for the trolling, etc... >_< ) Since that doesn't seem to be the case here, I suppose I was too hasty to get irritated. I'm sorry. C=
It's ok.
There are several other elements, some strong, and some much weaker

The second biggest element and draw of Medaka Box is the exploration of the psyche and motivation of Mary Sues. If one reaches the epitome of human perfection, what is one's goal in life? You see this trend in Medaka and Naze, and both arrive at very different answers. Naze deliberately embraced suffering, while Zenkichi imposed a goal (unwittingly) of benevolence for benevolence sake on Medaka.

The third is romance - it feels weaker, but then again, Medaka seems not to discriminate between the love of friendship and the love of romance, whatever her proclamations to Akune. It makes sense then, as Medaka's first and best friend, for Medaka to reciprocate to Zenkichi - to her the gulf from best friend to lover is non-existent, contingent upon Zenkichi's reciprocation of her initial offer.

If, they want to explore Medaka and Zenkichi as fiancees, then Nisio may well be exploring the theme of whether there's any difference between a Best Friend of the opposite gender, and a Romantic partner - can your best friend be your wife?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote