View Single Post
Old 2018-12-27, 22:37   Link #5
Toukairin
Banned

Vallen is right though. People have a problem with Japan for some reason while Norway and Iceland still hunt whales in a more blatant manner than Japan does. Norway's industry is also subsidized by the government. It appears Japan doesn't buy some Norwegian whale meat because it is contaminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Consumption
Whale meat captured in Norway is exported to Japan, fed to animals, or eaten by humans. In 2014, 113 metric tonnes, equivalent to about 75 whales, were sold to make animal feed for the fur industry. A total of 736 whales were captured in 2014. Whale meat is also used for pet food in Norway. Under 5% of Norwegians eat whale meat. Japan takes exports, though it has rejected some because of contamination with aldrin, dieldrin, and chlordane.

Subsidies
The Norwegian government pays subsidies equal to about half the value of whales caught. Subsidies include fuel tax exemptions, and payments to subsidize pet consumption.
Iceland actually has commercial whaling activity fully on. I'm waiting to see hell unleashed against them, but it seems it's always easier to pick on a bigger country rather than punching on poor little Iceland although the latter is actually doing worse.

Some people may not agree with my opinion, but I also smell big time hypocrisy in the air. As for those who use the #BoycottJapan as a thing on Twitter, thay can stick it up where the sun doesn't shine because they don't even know all the facts.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2018-12-28 at 05:19.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote