View Single Post
Old 2007-05-28, 21:23   Link #222
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Uh, you must be getting Japan and some other country mixed up, because under 18 is considered a minor, and any adult having sexual activity involving him/her is held accountable for statutory crime. Not only that, but Arts Vision is in Tokyo, and they have a prefecture law specificly for that.

You might wanna go look up 青少年保護育成条例 (Minor protection and education act... no idea what the official english term for it is, but that's the direct translation of the prefectual act in which 46 prefectures are active) before you get some people strange ideas.

Just like most laws (including age of consent) are governed by STATE laws in U.S., they are governed by Prefecture laws in Japan.
Don't just think federal laws are everything.
I did some research and you are correct, the prefecture law does indeed make it 18 years of age. It's 13 by national law, so I think I may have gotten the age confused with Canada's which is 14. Whoops!

Anyway I'm going to sit back because this is going to be one heck of a scandal I would imagine, and one I think is unfortunately necessary. Just yesterday on the forums somewhere (I think it was the Lucky Star Voice Actor Appreciation forum), somebody said Japan doesn't respond to corruption unless it reaches the point where it can no longer be ignored and your's truly chimed in on it and the damage it could cause (and because of the fact that I'm borderline clairvoyant it actually comes true the next day, the part about the seedy underside of Japanese business getting exposed that is. Gotta give credit to Houkoholic for bringing it up too). Well that's the case here so I want to see what gets done about it and how much damage it does to the industry now that it has been allowed to explode onto the scene instead of being nipped in the bud.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-28 at 21:34.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote