View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 17:15   Link #2074
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying.
I'm not saying you did. I'm just pointing out something good that may have come out of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
The point isn't whether she wanted to take Ai-kun back or not, the point was in how the series portrayed her as doing so. The overwhelming feeling the series gives you directly before and during Ranka's leaving is a blank mystery on how she feels about seeing her home as a wreck and seeing one of Alto's closest friends killed in front of her very eyes.

The series has to address how Ranka feels and reacts to those things to have any emotional resonance in her choice to leave Frontier. Her leaving Frontier to save it COULD be framed as noble, but even if that's what's driving her actions in the series, it's not coming through. Merely giving an alternate interpretation as to her goals doesn't actually change the fact we see absolutely nothing, emotionally, from Ranka on our television screens. So it would fall flat regardless.

That's why I'm saying it doesn't matter. Whether Ranka's a bitch or a saint, she's still flat, two-dimensional, and gives off the feeling of being entirely self-absorbed in the final episodes of the series.
I guess this'll come up in the rewatch thread, but...I never felt that way about it. And I certainly felt emotional resonance with the scene where she leaves. So I'm not sure I'd even call it bad writing... at the very least, it worked for me.