View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 21:19   Link #839
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
At least until recently, Japanese teachers were deeply involved in their student's lives and parents would quake if the teacher didn't approve of some family life situation. Being called to a parent-teacher conference was terrifying for the parents.

Unfortunately (in most cases), the teachers were hamstrung because of educational reforms a few years ago and in many cases, the parents have NOT stepped up to the plate. So much so that authorities are reconsidering many of these reforms.

Most anime and mangaka though, grew up in the older school ways and that's why you see it still played out in those forms of entertainment. Almost all "daily life" anime/manga like this is nostalgic in some sense.
This is particularly important in my opinion, because before the characters actions and motavations seem logical to us, they need to seem logical to miss watashiya. So if she was going thru these types of teachers, then it would make sense for these types of teachers to be in her story. But this story has both kinds of teachers, pre and post reform teachers (in mentality) shiro-chan is most certainly post reform, and dear daisuke is pre reform. Of course not because of any other reason than his personality I guess. But anyways Miss watashiyta already has the characters completely figured out. But this little tidbits gives me some insight on how a character like daisuke is created.

Also about the childrens desires. Most children are not allowed to make choices because they lack the ability to see in the future. If you ask a child rins age, if she would rather get a grand estate, valued in the millions, or a bunch of sexy clothes, a large amount of pocky, and the man of her dreams, I am positive she will choose the dream man package. Why, because she can only think about now, the estate has no value to her, because she does not understand it. I understand it is all about her choice, the ability for her to exercise her choice. But most grown ups feel she will make the wrong choice, so they make it for her. Staying with reiji is the best emotionally, daisuke sexually, and pops finacially. So Which is the best? Can we decided that? Can the characters decided that? I think not, only rin can, based on her emotional state at that very moment. When rin grows up, she may think, kuso I made the wrong choice. But I am positive it will feel better if she made the wrong choice, than if someone else made the right choice for her (without her input). Wow I guess I am just rambling now, lol. Well it all boils down to, adults do not let kids make choices because they do not understand, and I think rin should be permitted to choose.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote