View Single Post
Old 2010-08-09, 08:25   Link #2063
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Monotanous View Post
All the best stories have a meaning behind them, and FMA is one of the best!

Its interesting to see what other people took as away from it. There's alot of morality and philosophy shown & discussed by the characters. FMA did make me think, which I LOVE from a narrative.

The only political message that I seemed clear to me was the similarites between Ishval & real world's Middle east.
Considering Armestris is frequently refered to as the west (& the Armestris characters being Aryan in appearence) & Xing as the east (with the characters being clearly Asian), and Ishval is right in between (that & along with the racial similarities of the Ishvalian people & those from the middle east...on top of the religious fundamentism).
I thought the Ishval massacare reflects the Wests invasion of Iraq (and now Afghanistan), especially considering the after effects on the returning soldiers (many have commited suicide after returning home & expressed guild over their actions, which FMA touches on with Mustang & co)
Not a happy issue, but interesting.

It can't be, FMA was first written in 2001, so unless Hiromu Arakawa has a time machine then Fullmetal Alchemist has nothing to do with the middle east other than similar skin color. Generally speaking Scar's story generally has more to do with Christianity due to how forgiveness and atonement are emphasized just like in Christianity.

Arakawa has also stated that the idea from Ishval came from the Ainu. Also the human experimentation of Ishvalans by the goverment is based off of the Japanese preforming human experimentations on the Chinese.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote