View Single Post
Old 2012-09-10, 15:32   Link #86
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Someone earlier questioned whether these people are more self-aware than real high-school students. Maybe they are. Maybe this is a show about adults, dressed up in high school drag. At the very least, these are extraordinary high-school students. And there's nothing wrong with that.
My highschool days are fast becoming a distance memory, but I do remember that me and my friends talked and worried about this stuffs. Something about how to choose the life that we'll be happy with and at the same time be responsible as a member of our family and our society. I don't think Hyouka make highschoolers too mature. It's the opposite: I think most anime make highschoolers too childish, or again, too chuunibyou. Highschool is not the time when one started to think that you have the power to change the world with friendship and whatnots, but the time one graduated from it. Maybe the different in education system is part of it, but I believe that in Asia, or at least in my country, highschool is the time when (almost) everyone first got crushed by the harsh reality of how high the sky is. From what I gather, that moment is usually in collage for the western countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The drawing and animation are certainly outstanding, but sometimes -- as in a couple of the gifs posted by Shergal (for which, thanks!) -- I got a whiff of animators showing off, maybe even to each other, in a way that was enjoyable but that slightly took away from the flow of the scene. Not that I'm complaining, since the animation gave a pleasure of its own, and the distraction was slight.
I think I understand what you mean, but I take it as how they want to emphasize the scene. Instead of some special effects, they use a shifted in animation to say "pay attention to this." I think it works wonder.