View Single Post
Old 2013-09-21, 13:56   Link #50
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
I realise this and so I won't argue about the negatives. I guess most reporters would be older members so it would negate my point above; maybe there can be a warning in the report function that some members will hate the reporter and then the reporter can select if he/she wants to be included in the reason for editing (unselected by default).
This isn't necessary. Since you've never reported a post before, I'll tell you about the process.

After you click the "report post" button, you're taken to a website with a text box. You are asked to write what the problem with the post is. Some examples, like "spam," are given. You can write what ever you want, but with regard to spoilers, you can write that it's a spoiler. If you're not sure, you can state that, too ("I think this might be a spoiler" or some such thing). The moderators are then notified of the report. They can see the post, your reason for reporting it, and that you are the reporter. That information is only available to the moderators. It is up to the moderators what should be done with the post, if anything. Whether they act on it or not, nobody aside from the moderators would know that you reported the post.

In other words, it's a completely anonymous act.

If we were to start awarding recognition then we would get into situations where people grew upset with each other, or where people would become afraid of reporting posts for fear of possible backlash. We don't want that.

Getting members into reporting problems isn't an unusual thing. We do it offline, too; haven't you ever heard one of those "if you see something, say something" campaigns that police forces put out? Emergency responders can't be everywhere at once, nor can they predict disasters. They exist for the good of the community, and it is up to the community to help focus them. The same applies here.