View Single Post
Old 2009-05-07, 23:22   Link #29
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
2. Mystique, I know for a fact that you are not the only person who dislikes Saki, but I like her. And she is a lot more than just "sweet and cute." She went off to DC on her own. She is 22, not a little girl. She can stay out all night with anyone she likes. She is upset that she loves her brother in law, but you can't blame anyone for their feelings, just for what they do about them, which in her case was keep them hidden. Those lies about where she was were white lies, as well as being very normal and human. She didn't tell Oosugi about Akira in part because she didn't know if Akira would ever call her back.

I can sympathize with Oosugi all too well, but he hangs around her like a bad odor, never taking indifference for an answer, while being too nice a guy to tell off. I can't deny, however, that her comment in ep1 about him calling indicates she may take a small delight in knowing at least someone likes her that much, even if she doesn't like him that much. Not the best way to be, but very normal and interesting.
You said it.
It's blatantly obvious from the entire scooby gang too bout his affection for her. She doesn't seem incredibly active (unless only being around Akira makes her bold) and from the way she cuts his call in ep 3 without a 'see you later/tomorrow, she seems fed up somewhat, but she lets it drag and probably has let it drag for ages and ages.
(Well if not, then we wouldn't have the heartbreak hotel ep, I'm aware)
I know of her age, responsibilities and feelings that make her 'human', as she more or less stated it in this episode, she's currently in pain. Her imperfection is partially what'll make discussion controversial in regards to her and so some people, it'll be a source of affinity towards Saki.
For me, I still don't care for her at present, seeing as I couldn't help but think 'how rude' when she more or less storms out of her home instead of 'aww, poor girl', hee hee.

You could place three 22 year old girls in the same position as her with the same responsibilities and pain, but depending on their individual character or attitudes, chances are that they'll react and deal with the situation given differently, if we're going to relate to how human she's being.
(Example: Guy you're dazzled by, brings up your favourite movie especially for you, but hasn't joined you for it. How about going to the projection room to make that that he's, gee I dunno? Not hurt?)
By her personality or as it was written by the creators, she doesn't, but rather just tells Mameshiba:
'He could have told me if he wanted to be alone.'
And writes a note.
-Another girl may have gone to the room to check on him in order to confront him angrily.
-Another girl may have gone to the room in order to check on him while feeling really concerned.
-Another girl may have just left without writing a note or texting him ever again.

Since we're only going to be given the one scenario according to Saki Morimi, at present, it's not enough for me to warm up to her, no matter what she's going through, she's too passive.
We're only five eps in at present, which is still less than half the series, so we'll see how we go and how she deals with things later on, but for now, no go with me.
Thus my 2 pence from the 'do not like Saki' corner of the boxing ring.
Quote:
3. Mystique, as for whether there should be spoilers in these threads, I am against it, but if the majority of people in the thread want to use spoilers, that's okay, I will too. However, the last time I said that, a mod said that no vote was necessary, the rule is that spoilers aren't required.

To tell the truth, I've been through this discussion too many times not to feel quite angry when someone accuses me of lacking "common courtesy" over this.
I did say 'the idea is' - otherwise I doubt we'd have the rules written as strictly as they are every week.
I hazard to say, if you've been through this many many times, then people generally were thinking similar thoughts to me.
Least on my end from the moderators (in this case Pellissier) there hasn't really been any amendment of the first post lately, (generic copy & paste?), so I'm going of what I read and making my assumption of why they're fairly strict with it.
I assume at least for the first 24hrs after airing or so, or pre subtitles, placing them within them would be appreciated more than not, but *shrugs* - if eitherway works and mods are happy, then I guess it's fine as it is.

EDIT:
Wow 1/10? O.o
gonzo562 - if you don't mind, please let me know what didn't do it for you this episode? Not gonna rant and rage or anything, just curious to see if you're generally not feeling the series, or if the emotional drama aspect didn't do it for you this time.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-05-07 at 23:51.