View Single Post
Old 2006-10-15, 21:38   Link #49
Farix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
For my encodes, I decide filesize. I decide the codecs I use. I decided the container I use. I don't change that for the viewers. I may change for my fellow staff but not for the viewers. If you don't like it... well I suggest taking some time to learn a bit and start encoding for fansub groups yourself. Then you can release 90MB encodes all you want.

And no I don't pick high filesizes out of nowhere and plan it just to hurt people who have less space on HDD or a crappy connection. I do it (After testing compressibility) cause it's the most pleasing to my eyes and to hopefully my viewers as well. I aim to give them the best product possible. Not the smallest product possible.
Then I guess you and your group wouldn't have any problems if someone took your fansub, reencoded it to a more manageable filesize, and then redistributed it for those of us who are stuck with our "crappy connections". Unlike processing power, "crappy connections" is something that most people have absolutely no control over.

Remember, the reasons that the average XviD's filesize was established at ~170MB was a compromise between quality and manageable filesize. Just because AVC has entered the scene doesn't mean that the reasons for the compromise mysteriously go away and no longer apply. Now if a group would like to release an alternate HD sub for the quality freaks, that's one thing. But the compromise regarding SD encoding should remain enforce.

Last edited by Farix; 2006-10-15 at 21:51. Reason: reduce quote, cleanup grammar, add additional comments
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote