View Single Post
Old 2016-08-11, 19:58   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricadan View Post
Like I said, she's very supportive and that makes her very lovely. Refusing Subaru was definitely the right move, but I'd hardly call that standing up to him as it was just comforting him.
I think that's severely understating what she did here. It's not like Subaru's mind changed easily. They took almost a full episode on this, and there was lots of shouting and back-and-forth dialogue. Rem had to go to considerable lengths in countering Subaru's words and opinions in order to change his mind here.

Quote:
If anything, that entire scene just reinforces the idea that she has zero doubt in him, which to me seems very servile given Subaru's short track record of being right on important issues.
Having strong faith in someone is not the same as being servile towards them. I have strong faith in my parents, but I'm not servile towards them.

Your "servile" word choice here is not accurate, and so it's not fair.

Quote:
And perhaps Moridin's right in that she has faith in him for the sake of needing someone to believe in, but that still doesn't change my opinion that her faith is far too strong to let her be interesting.
I have to be honest - I find your approach to characters here a little strange and kinda cold. Some of the most emotionally compelling anime characters I know are ones that have very strong faith in another character.

You don't find anything the least bit touching or beautiful about this?

Quote:
I'm not saying she can't become interesting or that she inherently can't stand up for herself, just that as it stands now (in relation to the protagonist), she's too faithful to be anything more than a support character.
Whether or not someone is a "support character" doesn't depend on whether you like them or not.

Rem is clearly a major character in this anime. At this juncture, she might even have more total screen-time than Emilia does. Rem has become crucially important to the plot and story of Re:Zero. Right now, she is a core character. She is not merely a support character.