View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 23:41   Link #22
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

@Ledgem I didn't hate Shu because he was a wimp. Unlike most people I don't hate characters because they're whiny little bitches (I like Yukiteru, I like Shinji, and I like Luke from ToA before he became nice). I hate him because he was a wimp that couldn't get out of the writer's control and become his own character. Unlike you, I didn't find it real, but more like they try to be real, but they don't go all the way. Every single action of his happens because the writers say so. I even said I would have liked him if he was in a different anime that actually took advantage of his character.

I also think you missed the point I was making with my statement when I said Gai becoming human was actually done well. My point was that Inori's change into a more emotional being wasn't convincing. Gai's change was convincing, mostly because he interacted with Shu and Mana a lot, plus the animation did a lot of the talking during those scenes. And I wasn't referring to him gaining emotions as he grew into a 17-year old, as we never saw him grow up into a teenager. I was referring to the entire flashback scene, starting from when he was discovered by Shu and Mana, and ending when Mana went crazy on him. You know, the point when he was still a kid? In other words, he gained emotions more convincingly than Inori did in the same time frame.

Also, the Haruka thing is a nitpick. I believe I mentioned that Shingen from Durarara is the same when it comes to being different at work and at home. The problem is, Shingen was funny and sort of unique. Haruka wasn't.

P.S. Yes, I liked Luke when he became nice as well.

Edit: Also, I should make it clear that I don't hate this anime. It's characters are awful, sure, but I like what they're trying to do with them.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck