View Single Post
Old 2012-03-20, 14:29   Link #149
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I would save each other about the history of animation,the animating and film techniques and technology used in animation as a whole. The simple fact is as an animation and film, anime is primitive and technically inferior to the west.

I seem to praise the west alot, so to reaffirm my objectivity, I'm a South East Asian who grew up on mecha anime since the age of 3. I do love anime, but the fact is anime is inferior to most animation out there. Static pretty pictures, sparkly blinking eyes and insane explosions after a badass static pose says nothing about animation. They are all just pretty pictures and not animation. Even the very best of Miyazaki's hand drawn animations still do not compare in technique to the true masterpiece classics of 1940's Disney animation. Sure Ghibli has really pretty and colourful worlds, but I credit that to artist Kazuo Oga more than anything.
I agree with most of what you said, but outside of the silver age of Disney western animation for a long time wasn't more advanced or different from anime. Both used static and pretty picture animation (limited animation). If you look at the 60s, 70s and 80s companies like Hanna-Barbera, DePatie-Freleng and Filmation mostly produced limited animation works in the same manner as the Japanese studios. The last of that type of show was Brave Starr before pretty much every major studio outside of Disney had gone bankrupt or stopped producing animation (partly because of outsourcing to and competition with Asian studios). Even Disney had hard time before they reinvented themselves with The Little Mermaid.

Things turned around in the late 80s with Warner Bros returning to animation and lead the way with Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs both of whom were pretty revolutionary for that time. Seth MacFarlane, Butch Hartman, and Genndy Tartakovsky brought Hanna-Barbera back from the dead and around the same time Matt Groening came up with the Simpsons. The technological innovation in western animation can partly be traced back to the restart of the industry at that time when new ideas were desperately needed.

The Japanese studios on the other hand have simply continued the old practice of limited animation. The development in anime has been more on producing the same type of material with increasingly cheaper production methods. If you remove that static element, will it still be anime?

Last edited by Bri; 2012-03-20 at 14:46.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote