View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 10:04   Link #73
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
There's a simple explanation for this. Makishima isn't trying to destroy the Sybill systems for reasons that the layperson would regard as heroic. People had previously postulated that Makishima might not actually CARE if anything was left standing after the Sybill system fell down, and they were pretty much spot on. Makishima just happens to find the system to be distasteful. I think it's extremely unlikely that he opposes the system based on any kind of mainstream humanistic/human rights basis.
Actually that isn't what I got from this episode at all. It's not that Makishima doesn't care, in fact I think he would rather there be "something" after the destruction or he is at least curious what that could be. However I think he believes "nothing" is still better than then the current state if it comes to that.

As for the "ends justifies the means" I am not sure if Makishima himself thinks in these terms, but I still see him as this type of antagonist and it is an antagonist/character that Urobuchi likes to write. After all we constantly measure Makishima actions vs the Sybil system in discussions. For example lets say there is something after the destruction and the world does become a better? Then how do we judge Makishima's actions?

If you are saying that Makishima did not care about coming up with another method because for him this isn't about "basic human rights" then yes that I agree with. But then I have another question is Makishima's extreme of humans turning into wolves any better than the sybil system turning humans into sheep?