View Single Post
Old 2011-01-26, 08:40   Link #2898
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
One thing I found funny about Son Gohan.

Where the hell did he (and for that matter, his adorable little brother Goten), who is home schooled, learn how to use the polite masculine first-person-singluar prefix of "boku" to address himself when his grandfather, father and even mother ALL uses the coarse masucline singular of "ora" to refer to themselves day-in day-out?!?!
Moms will beat discipline into kids like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
That decision is still the thing I dislike hte most about the series. They just make Gohan feel like such a wasted character. If that wasn't enough they make sure to make him feel like a great character again....and then flush his character back down the drain for good measure.

Forget the people technically responsible, I blame the parents. Chichi completely ruined Gohan's character.
The thing is, I think Gohan could have been plenty interesting had he had to put up a serious superhero/real-life balancing role instead of Toriyama giving him the ridiculous Saibaman gimmick. And it is really weird since for all intents and purposes in the story, Goku gives the key to the future and basically crowns Gohan to take up the mantle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I do. Gohan's boring and Goku makes for a much better hero.

We've just passed the peak of this arc as far as I'm concerned. Well, the Cell Jrs. beating on the Z warriors is a fun and well animated episode too. And Gohan's transformation itself is enjoyable and undeniably memorable I suppose, even if I find what he becomes like as a result to be pretty lame.
I think the main problem is that Gohan didn't even get a chance to be in the spotlight to begin with. If he was fully in the spotlight, he probably would have had more fun/cool moments to flesh him out. Sadly we didn't really get that.

And yeah, as for the Buu thing, the way Gohan was seemingly cast as a fodder annoyed the hell out of me. Even by Goku's measure, even in his Super Saiyan 3 level of power, he still acknowledged Gohan as the ultimate Saiyan at the point. Then it all goes to silence as Goku gets stronger, stronger, stronger and beats Buu. I remember, even as a grade schooler back in original manga circulation, that I felt sorry for Gohan.

I still do.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote