View Single Post
Old 2020-03-17, 20:40   Link #558
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
And that is the big problem with the anime. Apart from a few minor changes they were afraid to make it anything other than a regurgitation of the game's "story".
Changes are fine when they are reasonable (for example Da Vinci and Mash meeting before Orleans, which was always stupid thing in game, because Mash needed to 'react' to meeting Da Vinci as InsertNameHere has no personality and she was used as an echo chamber). What isn't fine is when those changes affect negatively to the arcs and substance of the characters, the arc and story overall as it did with the anime version. I had no issue for the Stage version to move Kingu's chain climax to Kur (in the stage, Kingu chains Tiamat so Gilgamesh would use Ea when she tries to escape). That's a major change. However, because the built up was equally as heroic and important for the climax of the guy whose title is the subtitle of the Singularity ("The Chain of Heavens - Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia"), it worked well (plus that gave a bonus of Gilgamesh and "Enkidu" taking down another monster together again as the old times). Instead in the anime, they rushed it and poorly portrayed it so they can quickly brush it over to have Ereshkigal made clumsy faces for half of the episode which shows the director's poorly placed priorities. I didn't mind in the anime, for example, when the comedic reaction to Ritsuka after the trip to Kur was changed to a more dramatic fashion, either (they aren't worried about him in the game, and instead that scene is played off as a gag since he was sitting on the Tablet of Fate while the squad tirelessly was looking for it). That change was reasonable.

Yes, Ritsuka is a noncharacter self insert meant to be just the player in game. Now adaptation can choose to flesh them up into a character, nobody is saying they can't do that. What I, and others who criticize it, have the problem with is that the way the anime did it (by stealing scenes, messing up the story and character climax that the fanbase was waiting for) was godawful and ruined the experience. That's why I brought up Shimousa manga adaptation portrayal of Ritsuka as counterpoint: the mangaka managed to flesh her up without sacrificing other characters for her sake. That's a good and positive change, what happened in Babylonia isn't that at all.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote