View Single Post
Old 2009-06-06, 21:08   Link #92
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Not true. I still get as much enjoyment as I can out of Impel Down, even though it is the worst arc so far.

Criticism is just called not turning off your mind. If you turn off your mind, maybe you will like everything ok, everything will taste vanilla, but how do you know you didn't miss out on something better?

Honestly, if you think Impel Down is nearly as good as earlier arcs, maybe you just didn't get the most out of the earlier ones.

Having so many characters return like they did also starts to feel a bit like fanservice, and makes the world feel smaller and less interesting.

Almost like Oda knew Impel Down had the weakest storyline so far, so he brought back a bunch of fan favorites to distract people.

Personally I don't think Mr 1/2/3 should have appeared at all, that just makes the world too small. And I still think Mr 3's declaration was out of character.
When you switch on your mind even more, you get to appreciate, that's when you find out you missed on the better stuff. Because appreciation is the act of finding the worth of something. You don't find the good by criticising, you find it by appreciating.

And as you said, you're 'personally' thinking you don't like the arc because of the various reasons you stated. It seems that its your personal taste at work which makes you think that the arc is bad. But this doesn't mean the arc is bad for all of us, in fact it seems quite alot of us like this arc. The problem doesn't lie with the arc, it lies with the individual who doesn't like it, because this isn't a downright bad arc.

Even if its not the best, yes you can still enjoy it. And this arc probably won't see an end anytime soon, you won't get a good judgement of things until its complete. There's reasons why we're thinking this is an epic build up of things to come.

Characters are brought back or introduced for this build up, not just for fanservice. If everyone is gathering on one spot of the planet, I'm sure you'll meet someone you know. Impel Down is also where Baroque works is kept, if you're as loud as Luffy, someone who remembers you will probably notice you. Its not like we're meeting every single old character here, we're only meeting ones who are supposed to be here, kept in the prison and those who are involved with Whitebeard.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/