View Single Post
Old 2009-08-23, 13:10   Link #227
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You should post less, then. Just saying.

But, in all seriousness, how can you claim ANY character in the anime to be complex? I really do not see where you're coming from. They're all pretty plain, if you ask me (Nina is an overachiever, Layfon is a fighter looking for purpose, Felli is an emotionless doll who ends up finding some feelings, and so on). Doesn't make it any less fun, but complex? I just don't see it. Now, if you cannot keep it civil, don't even bother to respond, ok?
I'm just pointing out the facts don't hate me because I talk straight. You shouldn't have posted in the first place if you didn't have anything worthwhile to post. I'll entertain you though.

A lot of the show has to do with the relationship between Nina and Layfon. Him, growing up in a harsh life and him developing skills in order to maintain the Orphanage but in doing so he believes that anything he does is justified, this later comes in conflict with Nina whose views on the military arts is more noble and idealized. Nina generally at start doesn't understand him in many ways and he doesn't understand her and likewise the views of those in the Orphanage who felt betrayed once they found out about his illegal activities.

Also Nina views on strength. She wishes strength to protect the city and believes that weakness is a sin. This comes more into play when she compares her power with Layfon. She starts doubting if she is in fact strong enough to protect the city and if she isn't then doesn't that make her weak? This is when she starts training secretly but her personality makes her put too much pressure on her own self and she often tries to take on these things by herself. Even then she is constantly trying to understand Layfon and others. She tries to question Layfon a number of times only to get evaded or he outright misrepresents his motives. This put her in a precarious situation since she has to try to balance the best for her team and her own feelings. She certainly didn't hate Layfon and realized the city needed his power but also felt conflicted by if the fact that his beliefs could cause problems later on if true and her own feelings are betrayal because of the revelation.

The Student Council President unlike her was willing to employ any method to save the school but then again we see with Dein Dee story that employing any method doesn't always lead to the best results. In this story we see that while having strong ideals she still warned Dee in order to try to save him by convincing him to stop taking the drug. She more than willing to give him a chance to redeem himself instead of turning him in without the opportunity for him to decide.

The SCP was imo also more than willing, at least at the start to use Layfon as only a tool while Nina wanted to be a friend and for him to rely on them as a team. Nina also puts a lot of the blame on herself and wonders if her actions were truly right many times. We see this in her talk with Leerin and then again at the end of the series. Both Nina and Layfon become stronger people when they rely on each other inside of take things on alone. This is kind of ruined by the power ranger ending but I digress.

Layfon is very similar to her but I don't want to go into to much about him as this isn't his thread and that be another few paragraphs...

Felli was never an emotionless doll. She just couldn't properly express her emotions on her face. She did however have many issues with being used and that why she refused to help and often times half-assed her skills so people wouldn't realize how powerful she was. She had a few other things about her character but that's the meat of it. I also don't want to get into her too much.

I pulled this all out of my head after not watching the show since it ended so I might have missed something and I shorten some analyzes down to bare bones but still Nina is a fairly complex character. If you honestly believe that she just an overachiever then I think you might have slept through the series.