View Single Post
Old 2013-12-31, 03:41   Link #2421
cyth
Banned

It sure sounded that way.

Personally I can't come up with a single other studio where clustering elements that bother me goes to such degree. KyoAni had to get right down personal for me to like Free!, but this isn't my regular "consumption mode" for anime. Usually production studios get on my bad side if they continuously suck at some aspect of production, because most of them take on such different projects that you can't really peg them as studio that does X. There are exceptions, such as Sunrise, but I happen to like mecha so. And it's not like I don't like light high school comedy and drama, but this is what KyoAni has been producing now for the longest time. Of course they are going to get pegged as a studio that does it! It really is about genres, this is why everyone was getting hyped about a dark fantasy theme. Unfortunately we got something that doesn't take itself seriously enough and falls into the high school trap.

Maybe the pyschologically damaged may not be old fans and supporters, but rather the studio that is fearful to make anything risky whilst they try to establish their footing as a major production player. Just when are they going to make something out of their comfort zone, this is my question for the studio in 2014.