View Single Post
Old 2007-07-16, 10:06   Link #79
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
In the program itself you never see what node has what IP; the program knows but it isn't telling you. A netstat (=show all active IP connections) will show what IP's the computer is connected to at the moment, but it will not tell you what data is going where.

[...] As proven in several court cases, the actual P2P technology is not illegal in itself; what is illegal is transmitting copyrighted works without the copyright holder's permission, and that is very hard to prove with something like Share or Perfect Dark.
Yes, I understand ... assuming you talk about Japanese courts since the two of us are not under Japanese jurisdiction anways. But laws can be changed and when there is a 99.5 percent probability that you use an encrypted connection to download copyrighted material a different judge might decide that it is OK to raid your home regardless. House searches happen on much weaker evidence.

But all in all I don't see anything in PD that could not be implemented open source. Tor already provides the infrastructure, and also for a lot of things that are 100 percent "ethically correct".

A least I now understand that Japan hasn't invented the magic bullet either.