View Single Post
Old 2011-09-13, 22:36   Link #41
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Tiresias, some of your quotation attributions are very off.
Really? Hmm, I guess it's because I always prefer to cut-and-group similar topics and respond to them as one. Sometimes I got confused myself, really...

Quote:
The Bogenform and Sturmfalke are a cheat.

In a world of magical bullets and beams, why a bow? Why arrows?
I was responding to your "Probably went against their knightly idea of combat, just like shooting and bomdardment magic" comment

The fact that they have ranged spells, even if mostly inferior to Midchildan, and that they would use it when situation demand, meant that no, ranged magic is not against their knightly idea of combat. It may not be their specialty, but they do not despise it.

And I doubt that quick-teleports, should they exist, would be against that code either. Heavy cavalries rarely charge from the front, they usually flank, something quick-teleports would be useful for.

Quote:
Archery is a way to force the Belkan System to do something it normally sucks at. A bow is a handheld weapon, and an arrow is a solid blade.
Archery is not a way to "force" them, it's a way to give them alternatives so that they can fight back against ranged enemies. Besides, Samurai's, Mamluk's and Sipahi's uses bows as well as swords and armor, and they never consider it to be dishonorable. Nor do they suck at archery.

Quote:
But Yuuno did it so fast that Arf didn't have time to jump away.

He jumped in, casting the barrier, caught Arf on it, trash-talked the familiar, and then cast the forced teleport so fast that Arf could only think "CRAP!" before they were gone.
And he never used it again for the rest of the battle, so just like DeVille, it seems that those kind of teleports are only feasible against unsuspecting enemies.

Quote:
The Wolkenritter are ancient even for Ancient Belka, though. They probably predated the time that Belka started using mass-based weapon in bulk. Probably before the ages when the rulers began to modify themselves.
You're missing my point. The idea of knights withered because advances in technology increases the firepower a soldier can unleash, making direct charges against them most of the time suicidal. And the Wolkies have possessed that kind of firepower for as long as they know.

Their styles and design may be medieval, but the destruction they can unleash is very much modern.

Quote:
For all of the hoopla about Nakama and the power of friendship, I can't really recall honest teamwork in a shounen or seinen series.
Mainly because another common gimmick in such series are "honorable" one-on-one duel between the Hero and the Villain, leaving little room for the allies to contribute.

Shame, really. It made me remember this:
Quote:
This is something the captain's got to do for himself.
No, it's not!
Oh. *They open fire*
Then again the "Taming Touma" part pitted Nanoha, Fate and Isis against one Avenir, so...