View Single Post
Old 2006-10-16, 16:02   Link #97
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Well there seems to be many answers to this and yet "some" of us are getting on to comparing h264 and why the files using that codec are so big...[darkfire]'s post being meaningful but what was the point? It didn't answer anything or ask or discuss the sole topic. And technically there really "ISN't" an answer to this question because:
----: 1. Different encoders may have different styles and choices
----: 2. Why not they be big?
----: 3. A satisfying file size varies upon different people (and i mean everyone outside of encoders)
----: 4. If the job is done correctly at that so point, say 233mb, then why ask if it's good.
----: 5. I suppose that since high-filesize does job why take chances on multiple encodes by trying to go lower ( way lower )
----: 6. H.264 as explained I believe in this thread has some reason to be placed at high file sizes:
----: 7. More widespread? Because the filesize does "somewhat" decide quality (but i won't go further into that)
----: 8. I assume h264 files at that size are pleasing to you, no? So then why ask?
----: 9. Did I mention why not?
----: 10. Average Analysis: h264 on avg has about a third greater bitrate at 170mb then XVID...so why not push the limits further?
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote