View Single Post
Old 2008-06-25, 13:44   Link #37
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I like the idea but I'll probably pass on it...

The idea behind Yggdra Union was really awesome, but toward the end of the game I felt really disappointed. It felt like it should have been the ultimate in strategy games, given that you had to count out your steps and formations. I love chess, and this initially seemed like a chess type of game. By the end of the game I felt less like my formation strategies were being challenged and more like I had to figure out how to ration movements with constantly-changing objectives, all while dealing with morale drops from those damn cannons. The gameplay that had felt initially fluid and open in the beginning then felt pretty linear, as if there was really only one right way to go about getting through the scenario. No room for creativity, no feelings of triumph for overcoming obstacles.

I bought Riviera shortly after I began playing (and loving) Yggdra Union, as it was highly regarded. To be honest, I was extremely disappointed in it. I haven't even finished it - I've had it for over a year and a half now, and I'm still on the second to last stage, I believe. It is surprisingly not a challenge (even though the item limit seems extremely limiting at first) and feels incredibly linear. I love the artwork, the music, and the storyline, but it's just not an entertaining game. For me, at least, there's no real sense of exploration, and no real sense of achievement after defeating enemies.

Knights in the Nightmare looks completely different in terms of gameplay. It looks interesting, but I don't know... perhaps I've unknowingly become a Square-Enix addict and I don't handle RPGs that deviate from their formula too well. I'll keep an eye on this title and its updates, but if I was disappointed by the other two then I'll probably be disappointed by this, too.

(Sorry for the wet blanket post, just wanted to express my thoughts in light of the fact that they seem to deviate from the vast majority of people who have played the other two titles.)
No, I think your observations are spot on.

Fo me, Riviera was entertaining for its character charm and cute atmosphere. However, it's still a beginner's RPG aimed at a slightly younger audience. Gamers must be able to tolerate a lack of deep gameplay since Riviera is closer to an adventure game in some ways.

Yggdra Union is a more serious game that's loaded with gimmicks, but the core strategic design is badly planned (as you say, scenarios suffer from single solution syndrome). Sadly, good strategy/RPG designers are rare within the Japanese industry, so I'm not surprised.

Overall, Sting's games are pretty and quirky, which make them interesting to play. However, they're by no means wonderful from a hardcore gaming perspective.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote