View Single Post
Old 2011-06-01, 12:41   Link #146
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Pfft, now I want a motorcyle. xDD But my grandma said: "You wanna kill yourself?!" orz

But anyway, I've noticed something. The guys are prefering Ko while the girls are prefering Tooru.

What exactly makes guys prefer Ko over Tooru? Is it that they see themselves in him? Does Tooru perhaps "intimidate" them?

Any guy here willing to answer?
I don't have a strong preference between the two of them, but I think that for guys that prefer Ko over Tooru, this is what it comes down to:

1. Many male viewers can relate to Ko's pain.

We've been "friend zoned" before. We've had romantic confessions go awry or suffer from bad timing. We've had some troubles in the ways of romance. Ko's difficulties are ones that I think most male anime fans can, at least to some extent, relate to.

2. Tooru, in contrast, is something of an alpha male when it comes to the fairer sex.

He's smooth, he's confident, he doesn't get shy or flustered when around attractive members of the opposite sex. In fact, he seems to be pretty good at winning them over (as we see with Minchi, and to some extent, Yuina). He drives a cool motorcycle, and has a cool helmet. I'm inclined to think that he has a good sense of self, and either has few insecurities or hides them well.

It's really not hard to see why female fans go for him.

The female equivalent to Tooru would probably be someone like Misato from NGE, and I know she was pretty popular with male anime fans back in the day (and probably still is judging by Archon's avatar ).

But all of the above makes Tooru a somewhat enviable figure to male viewers, at least when it comes to how he carries himself around girls and women.

It doesn't bother me too much because I tend to like characters (from both genders) that are strong, straightforward, and a bit jovial. Plus, the anime world is frankly loaded with spineless male characters (not saying that Ko is one, at least he did in fact confess). A character like Tooru is hence a bit refreshing really.