View Single Post
Old 2011-08-03, 01:40   Link #27
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claymore View Post
But... haven't they had used more D-Mails for the mail winning lottery and the mail Okabe sent to Daru at the very beginning? I don't get why would Okabe say Moeka's the last one. Besides if I remember correctly, everyone saw what Moeka sent (about changing her cp), didn't they? So why go into more trouble anyways? Maybe we do need some plot develpment other than D-Mails and divergence.
Moeka's is the last one because he just needs to undo D-mails until he can get the IBN back. Remember, the IBN disappeared starting with Moeka's D-mail. There's no need to undo the previous two since they didn't affect the IBN.

And when Moeka sent her D-mail in ep8, she told Okabe that her D-mail will be to tell herself 4 days in the past not to change her cellphone, but what she actually wrote in the D-mail... nobody actually saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
No you missed my point. I'm saying it's easy for him to tell himself to cancel the new dmail. I want kyouma to send a dmail to himself a year earlier to go get it, or send one to rukako to not clean the shack etc. He can always prevent HIMSELF from sending it IN THIS WORLD easily by mentioning SERN etc.
Ah I see; sorry I misunderstood.

Regarding that, I think Kanon's explanation already covers it.

Okabe's primary objective is to prevent Mayuri's death. Several failed attempts have drilled that into him. Now he is offered a hope: recurse all the way back to the pre-Moeka-D-mail timeline and use the IBN to shift beta/alpha timelines. This is probably the simplest and most guaranteed method that he has.

Your solution might work, or might not work. It is hard to tell how the butterfly effects will alter the timeline, especially when the detail that can be sent back by a D-mail is (IIRC) kinda limited. As Kanon mentioned, what got Okabe in this mess in the first place is his prior indiscriminate use of D-mails; by this point, I think he is already cautious enough not to use it for anything extraneous (not insult Feyris and Ruka as extraneous, but Mayuri is his primary objective). There is also the chance that the butterfly effects will be so drastic that he will no longer have the Phone Microwave, and thus no longer able to reverse whatever bad effects the D-mail may have.

tl;dr: Okabe's priority is Mayuri; he is being as cautious as possible.

EDIT: Ninja'd