Thread: Licensed Makai Senki Disgaea
View Single Post
Old 2006-04-11, 14:24   Link #102
Sophia
Queen Bitch

Translation Style

I'm sure the majority of you have expressed your concern about our translation style.

I will say this one more time. Anime Universe does use a literal translation style, but it is adapted to a Western context upon editing. This should account for the frequent "slang" and "curse words" which may come up from time to time. Some of you have stated that this is "Americanized" and "dub-titled", among other things. We do this because we sub for a primarily Western audience. The reason why it looks like an American dubbing company did it is because we meant it to look like that.

If you feel uncomfortable watching our subs, we urge you to watch other fansub groups' releases. None of you are being forced to watch our releases, and we don't want to waste our bandwidth giving you something you clearly don't want. Why am I saying this? Several people have been complaining time and time again about how our translation style "sucks" and that we should adopt a more literal style, which they assert is more "accurate" and "faithful" to the original script.

I have news for you. We have no intention of changing our translation style. None of your complaints are going to change our minds. If you feel you're in the right, I invite you to discuss this with me via e-mail or IRC. I think you'd have a better chance of proving your bravado when you're speaking directly to me.

I'll leave this on the table, just like our releases. It's up to you whether you pick it up or not.

Otherwise, quit the bitching. It's pointless and annoying. I think people would rather talk about how they feel about Disgaea rather than bitch about it. You know you who are.

Furthermore, I assume some of you have watched "Shuffle!" and remember how the first episodes were dull and uninteresting. After a few episodes, we literally had to KILL the downloads because you guys just wouldn't stop getting leeching. You've watched one episode of Disgaea. Don't you think it's a little too early to pass judgment on it? Shuffle and Disgaea are both similar in the respect that they are based on a game. I don't know if Shuffle! has been played just as much as Disgaea, but remember that both the game and the series had their respective merits. Give it a chance. This isn't a ploy to manipulate you into downloading our stuff. It's a warning that you may very well regret blowing these kinds of series off.