View Single Post
Old 2010-01-12, 02:46   Link #833
Neovoid

After completing VC, I started to play other "Strategy" WWII games like the Company of Heroes Series for RTS and the Brother in Arms Series for FPS. It makes we wonder what if the BLITZ system was used in a WWII SRPG game where you get to play as both the Allies and Axis like in Company of Heroes. Also incorporate real life military tactics like Brother in Arms' Four F's rather then just run up to the enemy and shoot him in the face. It is especially necessary if you want to flank the annoying MG42 (I hated them so much in COH which were responsible for more then 50% of my causalities).

I was also thinking of giving each faction an exclusive elite unit name like in COH for example, the British Elite Shocktroopers would be called Commandos and the Wehrmacht/Waffen SS Elite Shocktroopers would be called Stormtroopers or Assault Grenadiers.

As for the US, I'm not sure whether to categorize the US Army Rangers as Elite Scouts or Elite Shocktroopers. I watched a military channel special on the US Army Rangers, in WWII they specialized in long range recon and patrols behind the enemy lines (like Scouts). They also used 18th century raiding tactics established Major Robert Rogers during the French and Indian Wars. They were also referred to as the "US Army's Elite Shock Troops" leading the assault on the D-Day beaches. COH also establishes them as US Army's most Elite Unit able to wield semi-automatic M1 Garands (like Scouts) or Thompson SMG for Run & Gun and Guns Blazing Rambo tactics (for Shocktroopers). A squad of 3 or 4 Rangers could easily take out a King Tiger (also they were a lot cheaper to mass produce then the Shermans and Pershing Tanks). Some people view them as Scouts + Shocktrooper.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote