Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-05, 13:46   Link #541
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
LOL at the Start button showing for 3 seconds in the video with no mention whatsoever. Even MS must realize that adding just a button instead of a full menu, now, after all the negative publicity, is laughable. Either add the thing back or don't add anything at all. No one complained for the lack of a BUTTON. For me, it's wasted space on the taskbar, I hope it can be disabled, since it doesn't do anything worthwhile.
The button is there for familiarity and discoverability, the latter of which, as far as I'm concerned, is the most valid criticism of the new UI, much more than the whole touch vs. mouse + keyboard issue (which is a non-factor for me personally, having always used Windows 8 without any touch-capable device).

It's not going to be enough for everybody who has not been able to adjust to Windows 8, but I'm sure little things like this button can help some of them to adjust to the new UI.

And I think I did read somewhere that it can be disabled.

I'm more interested in how they will hint (if they do) at the existence of the Charms and the other hot corners as the short tutorial they have is probably not enough for some people.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote