Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-21, 21:59   Link #299
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Rare's franchises, hate to say it, market much better to Nintendo's audience. Why they didn't keep them when selling the company to MS, I have no clue, but the deal hasn't been that lucrative for MS either, and I think the only reason Rare hasn't been dumped is because Nintendo would snap them up in a heartbeat, so it's strategic for MS to not let those IPs go.
Nintendo did not own Rare. They had enough stake in the company that Rare was considered a second party developer for nintendo, but Rare was still indepdant; its more like they had a partnership. Then Microsoft came along and bought out the entire company. Not really anything Nintendo could have done.

It wasn't really such a bad idea in theory (well for MS... bad for the gamers as it turned out)... i mean the whole point seemed to be for Rare to help expand Xbox's library so they could include the audience that was attracted by nintendo. But MS had too much of a hardcore rep, and one company was not gonna change it... furtharmore, Rare for one reason or another just so happened to release a bunch of flops. Not sure what happened there, but after that it seems MS just gave up on the company completely and just chose to hold on to it